Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

I have a 6 week old puppy that is constipated. What can I

I have a 6 week old puppy that is constipated. What can I do from home
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 6 week old puppy who seems to be a little constipated! This is a relatively common problem for these young puppies during weaning. It is very important for this reason to soften any dry biscuits you give these puppies so that they don't become constipated. If he or she is currently on dry food be sure to put water on it so that they are softened to help them pass through more easily. You can lower the amount of water you put on the biscuits over a period of 2 - 3 weeks.

If you think this puppy is constipated now I recommend you get some lactulose or liquid parafin to help soften things up for this puppy. If you don't have either of these then you can give 2 teaspoons of oil (cooking oil) on his food 3 - 4 times per week for the next 3 weeks. If this puppy is severely constipated you are best off getting him or her checked out by your local Vet where they may want to give an enema.

Best of luck and do let me know how you get on with this young pup.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards