Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog ate 1.5 grams of hash, is stiff, unable to stand, has

Customer Question

My dog ate 1.5 grams of hash, is stiff, unable to stand, has urinated where she is laying and her head is shaking. She is not swallowing water that i have placed in her mouth with a dropper. Her respirations are 30/min and heartrate is 50bmp (bounding). Is this critical?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 years ago.

Hi there Kestrel59,

Thank you for your question regarding your Lab girl who has eaten some around 1.5g of marijuana. As you can now see, Marijuana affects dogs as it does people and the typical clinical signs we see from dogs are neurological ones. These can include any of incoordination, inability to get up, dilated pupils, slow heart beat and even anything to complete lethargy to a drugged stupor. Some dogs will also show mild gastrointestinal signs including vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms can last anywhere from half an hour to 3 - 4 days in the dog.

Judging from her very slow hear rate and inability to swallow, she should be taken to the ER vet STRAIGHT away. Because the effects last so much longer in dogs than in humans, it is critical you get her seen to straight away. At the Vets they will be able to place an IV drip, monitor her and give her some activated charcoal to hopefully absorb some of the material.

Best of luck and please keep me updated with her progress. Do get her down to the Vets now please.

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards