Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Our dog Mac has been wandering aimlessly, squealing, not

Our dog "Mac" has been wandering aimlessly, squealing, not sleeping (his appetite is still strong), hiding in places i.e., bathroom or closet, that he normally does not do. I can pick him up and he does not squeal, but when he does dose off he wakes up squealing. I know there is such a thing as psychomoter seisures in humans (I have this) and was wondering if you have a comment. He does not show symptoms when taken to the vet's office. He is 11 years old, a rescue dog, and has been with us for 10 years. I do not know his medical history, but this has happened several times over 5 years. he goes to the door to go outside, but wanders out there, too. He has not gone to the bathroom in the house but doesn't always go when he goes to the door to go out. It comes on instantaneously. Can you advise, PLEASE?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 years ago.

Hi there Adela and thanks for allowing me to try to help!

can you tell me if Mac shows these symptoms all the time or intermittently?

Has these episodes increased?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Very episodically, over the past five years. Usually only lasting 24 hours, although this time it has lasted 72 hours.

Adel, thanks for the info.

There are 2 possibilities for mac's episodes. One is a petite mal seizure as you had mentioned. This is a mild form of epilepsy that can manifest in many different ways and this is Mac's way. Unless this becomes full blown epilepsy, there is no concern. The only way to diagnose this is to have an MRI. At this point, I would not spend the money unless these become more frequent.

The other possibility is Cognitive Dysfunction Disorder or canine dementia. This also will cause episodes that will increase in frequency. Your vet has medication that will slow down this process.

Have your vet do a thorough exam on Mac to know for sure.

Good Luck,, Adel!!