Dr. Henderson
Dr. Henderson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Veterinarian, Adjunct Professor

My dog is lethargic, pooping clear liquid, vomiting a lot,

My dog is lethargic, pooping clear liquid, vomiting a lot, not eating or drinking?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Henderson replied 7 years ago.
Hi there
Thank you for your question.
May I ask how old is your dog? Is your dog up to date on vaccinations and dewormers? What does your dog normally eat?
Hi, sorry I just noticed the optional info below your question and noticed you listed your dogs age
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is 6, she has been diagnosed with weak kidneys. She eats a reduced protien food (Medical) and is taking Apo Benazepril to lower her blood pressure.
Okay, I am sorry to hear about her kidneys. How long has she had the kidney problem? It is very possible that her new symptoms are related to her kidney problem, I am sorry to say:( When the kidneys aren't working the way they should, the body can build up toxins, causing dogs to vomit, lose fluid and not be able to hold down food.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It can just happen over night like that? Should I take her to an emergency clinic?
It sounds like her kidney disease has already been occuring. And, yes it is possible for them to show an increase in the severity of signs very quickly:( I think it would be a good idea to head to the ER, considering that she has a history of azotemia (increase kidney values), currently on Benazepril, and vomiting and diarrhea. Best case scenario, this is a bug or virus that is causing this (hopefully not the kidney disease). But, even with something like a virus or bug, this can be very serious in a dog with kidneys that are not working correctly b/c it can dehydrate the kidneys even further, and cause them more damage. If this were my case, I would hospitalize your dog and run a few tests, get your dog on some IV fluids and meds to stop the vomiting and diarrhea.

I hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. H