Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

Our dog is shaking, seems weak, wont eat milkbone, cheese

Our dog is shaking, seems weak, won't eat milkbone, cheese (she normally loves)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question and sorry to hear about your girl who has become lethargic and inappetant! As you can imagine, there are quite a number of potential systemic problems that could now be manifesting here with your girl ranging from an organ problem like kidney or liver failure, a systemic problem like heart failure or a gastrointestinal problem. It could also be that your girl has gotten into something in the yard that could have caused her to have inappetance and lethargy. You really will need to get this girl to the Vet for a full physical to try and workout what (if anything) is causing her to act this way. In the mean time, I would like you to please keep a close eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should be a nice salmon pink color. If they are pale or dark red, definitely get her to the ER Vet tonight.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl and please keep an eye on her tonight. Get her to the Vet when you can if these symptoms persist or if more symptoms develop. Also be sure to check out: Canine Health a book I have helped write on canine health problems for future reference for your girl. I hope this helps and just reply if you need more info won't you! Please reply if you need any further help or assistance won't you.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc