Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my dog is shaking, has hacking cough, and is coughing up a

my dog is shaking, has hacking cough, and is coughing up a phlegm-like substance
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
For how long has your dog had this problem?
Does he cough up the phlegm every time?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has been doing this for approximately 36 hours; he coughs up the phlegm substance about every other time he coughs
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Is he sneezing, or having any problems with nasal discharge? If so, what color is the discharge?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Is he active and alert, or is he lethargic?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no sneezing, or nasal discharge..........not normal eating/drinking.....he tries to be active, but it seems to aggravate the coughing when he moves around.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

There are many things that can cause a dog to cough like this. They include:

Heartworm disease

Infectious diseases (viruses, bacteria, fungal diseases, parasites, etc..)

Cardiac failure

Neoplasia (cancer)

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

The list is really quite long. The first thing that you should do is take him to the veterinarian for a physical examination. The vet will check him out for any sign that he may have an infectious disease, will listen to his heart to see if he has a murmur, and will also likely do a quick blood test to see if he is positive for heartworm disease. If signs of infectious disease are present, the first thing that is tried is some antibiotics. This will clear up a bacterial infection, and help prevent against a secondary one from forming if a viral agent is causing the problem.

If the antibiotics do not work and the heartworm test is negative, then the vet will next recommend doing X-rays of the chest to look for signs of pneumonia, cancer, and congestive heart failure. Further blood testing may be necessary to determine if this is a fungal problem.

I am attaching a client information handout that I use in my practice that discusses the causes of coughing in more detail. I hope that you find it useful.

Click Here

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog.

Dr. K

Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian