CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

What is causing itching/biting in my dog other than fleas.

What is causing itching/biting in my dog other than fleas. Other symptoms: slight dandruff/change in fur color, red bumps from biting (size of a mosquito bite on a human)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

In dealing with the skin and itching - there are actually many causes...

Some may include:
- Bacterial skin infection
- Fleas
- Mites (Demodectic Mange or Sarcoptic Mange)
- Fungal infections

If there is not an underlying infectious cause, dogs can actually be allergic to their food - specifically the protein in their food.

For cases such as this: there are several hypoallergenic diets to consider such as Hill's Z/D or Purina H/A (hydrolyzed diets) as well as novel protein diets such as with the IVD brand.

To help with the itching - other options would be the use of special shampoo formulas, such as an oatmeal shampoo or other soothing shampoos.

Supplements such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids may also help:

These links may also help in understanding skin disease, supplements, and diets for dogs:

The other possible recommendation to help with the itching would be to use an antihistamine such as Benadryl. The dose is 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight - for example a 25 pound dog should receive 25 mg every 12 hours.
Please be certain it is the product consisting of only Diphenhydramine and DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY OTHER INGREDIENTS SUCH AS A DECONGESTANT.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.