Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog has had dry crusty bumps on her skin for over a year

My dog has had dry crusty bumps on her skin for over a year now and they occasionaly get infected. She was first told that she was overweight and that was causing her skin problems. My dog lost weight and her skin did not improve. Then my dog was told she had seasonal allergies and was put on daily clairton and her skin is still not improving. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Hello there,

What breed?

What age?

How old was the dog when the problems started?

Does the skin have an odor?

Is the dog itchy?

What meds have been used so far?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Breed: Minature Schanuzer. Age: 2 years. Dog was 1 year old when problems started. Skin only has and oder when it gets infected otherwise the bumps do not smell. The dog is only itchy when the bumps get infected otherwise she only noticies when you brush her or scratch her back. Meds: Antibotics when the skin was infected, she takes clairton daily, medicated shampoo.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 5 years ago.
Schnauzers get a condition called comedone syndrome. It is inherited and manageable, but not curable. A skin biopsy is needed to diagnose. it can cause the signs you are seeing. Medicated baths help the most. Allerseb-T works very well. It dissolves the scabby areas and opens the skin pores. It must be used with hot water and left on the skin for 10 minutes. If the signs started at 1 year, the dog was too young for seasonal allergies. There are other auto immune diseases that can cause these signs as well. Skin biopsies are needed to diagnose these as well. The dog should be run on atrial of oral prednisone to see what affect it has. It should be used in a tapered dose for 2-3 weeks. This helps with diagnosis of an immune problem. You may be able to get temporary relief with the shampoo and pred, but it will likely return when the meds stop. I would pursue a skin biopsy before spending money on much else, it will give you the most info for your money.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.