Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years as a small animal veterinarian in a clinical practice and a skin and ear clinic

My German Shepherds coat is dry and brittle with hair loss,

Customer Question

My German Shepherd's coat is dry and brittle with hair loss, what could be wrong with him?
Submitted: 7 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 7 years ago.
A dry brittle hair can indicate many things. Is the ski also dry and flaky? IS the dog itchy? Has there been a flea problem this year?

If it is just dry skin, the I would add Omega 3 fatty acids to the diet. These are available from your vet n a variety of forms. I recommend Eicosaderm ( as a fish oils supplement. It takes about 30 days to work. Sometimes using a bath oil as a spray or a rinse will help. Alpha Keri bath oil can be mixed at 1 oz. per gallon of water and poured over the coat twice a week.

If the coat is dry and brittle from skin disease your vet will need to look at the skin and diagnose the condition.

if there is an internal parasite problem, worms can steal essential nutrients that feed the skin and hair follicles. That can make the hair dry and brittle.