Dr. Keri
Dr. Keri, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years of experience as a companion animal veterinarian with emphasis on nutrition and senior care.

my dog just has a really bad eye infection today. her eye is

my dog just has a really bad eye infection today. her eye is completely swallow with puss. Few days earlier i realized that there might be some bug bites on her neck. Could you tell me if this might be the cause of it and is it contigious to human?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Keri replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

I think I can help you with this one with some over the counter medications, but first I need to ask a couple of questions to make sure her eye condition is not more serious.

• Can you look at the surface of her eye (the cornea) and see if it is clear, or does it appear millky blue and hazy?
  • Is she tearing and rubbing at the eye?
  • Is the other eye also affected, or is it completly normal?
  • Is she sneezing?
  • Does she go out in grass fields where there would be a possibility of getting a grass seed in her eye?

Let me know these answers and then I can try to advise you better. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr Keri,

1) her eye appears to be clear

2) she is tearing and occasionally rubs her eyes

3) the other eye seems like normal

4) no, she doesn't sneeze

5) yes, took her to a park and went out in grass field, so possibly might get grass seed in her eye

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Keri replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

Given that her little eyes are clear, I will tell you what you can try at home...however, if the swelling doesn't come down in a day or two, or if you notice a blue haze developing to the surface of her eye, then you need to get her in for an exam to check for a foreign body and have her eye stained to check for trauma.

For now,

• clean her eye gently with a moist cotton ball several times a day.
  • you can get an eye ointment called terramycin at most pet or feed stores. Here is a link so you know what it looks like...it is over the counter. I would apply it three times a day for 3 days and then 2 times a day until her eye is resolved.
  • you can give children's Benadryl liquid every 8 hours to help counter an allergic reaction (if that is what started this) The dose is 1mg/lb. So a 5 lb dog (just guessing if she is a chihuahua as your use name suggests) would take 2 cc of the liquid form (just a bit under half a teaspoon). Let me know if you need help with calculations.

This should take care of it if it is just conjunctivitis due to an allergic reaction. And you don not need to worry about getting this infection yourself. Though it could spread to the other eye, so always clean the unaffected eye first and change cotton balls between eyes.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more help.

Dr. Keri, Veterinarian
Experience: 9 years of experience as a companion animal veterinarian with emphasis on nutrition and senior care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so from what i told you earlier...could bug bites cause the infection? If not, what do you think it would be?

Expert:  Dr. Keri replied 4 years ago.
This would not be a common reaction from bug bites. This sounds more like an allergic response to something else...could be to many things: grass, pollen, irritants outside, the list goes on. Often times we don't know why it starts, but many of these tend to be seasonal (common in the summer months).

Best wishes!