Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

What are the side effects of vetoryl for dogs (cushings) .

What are the side effects of vetoryl for dogs (cushings)?. When can one expect to see symptom resolution? Are there any contraindication?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

Is your dog on any other medications? And does he have any other medical conditions aside from Cushing's disease?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is not now on any other meds. He was treated for bacterial hepatitis about 1 month ago. I am also giving him alternative supplements to lower cortisol and support liver.

Milk thistle, dandelion, astragulus, borage oil, CoQ10, dhea, phosphatidylserine, burdock, wild yam. The vet prescribed liver and pancreatic enzymes as well.

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for the update.

Vetoryl (trilostane) is a very safe product. Actually has been shown to be better than using Lysodren. The main side effects are lethargy, inappetence, and mild electrolyte abnormalies, but they are all related to the steroid withdrawl rather than adverse effects from the medication. And just like any medication, can potentially cause vomiting and diarrhea.

This medication is metabolized by the liver, like 90% of the drugs, and so it can potentially cause problems if a patient already has liver disease. But again, unlikely.

It is a competitive inhibitor of 3-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase thereby reducing synthesis of cortisol, aldosterone and adrenal androgens. Inhibition is reversible and apparently dose dependent.

You should expect symptom relief within a week. (Decrease in water consumption, decrease urination, decrease appetitie)

Having said all these, I would suggest to have an ultraosund performed before starting medication, to confirm the adrenal tumor. With adrenal tumor, it is recommended to have surgery done rather than using medication. Oral cushing's medication are not usually used for adrenal tumors.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any question or concerns. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Lee,

I am located in the US Virgin Islands. We do not have competent surgical vets here, so that option is not feasible. I believe ultra sound is possible but I was under the impression that the 8 hr test confirms whether the problem is in the adrenals or coming from the pituitary. That being said, can Vetoryl be used as a consistent daily long term med to counteract cushings? Also, when can we expect the muscle strength to return?

Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Ultrasound is highly recommendable to confirm the tumor, if available. Vetoryl can be used daily to control Cushing's disease. But we do need regular bloodwork and rechecks.

Muscle strength will have to depend on exercise level. So the more you can take him to walk around and for longer, the better it is. Muscle strength takes a long time to come back, it will not be an overnight thing.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for your valuable help.