How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18929
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate some cocoa powder, what do I do

Customer Question

My dog ate some cocoa powder, what do I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. When did this happen?

2. Roughly how much did your dog swallow ? { ounces }

3. How heavy is your dog { pounds }

4. Was this cooking chcocolate or drinking chocolate or another form ?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

about an hour ago


maybe a tablespoon




cooking powdered cocoa

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply.

This is no problem you need do nothing, no harm should come to your dog ....

I say this because although chocolate can be toxic to dogs and cooking chocolate is the most toxic form your dog would have to swallow 0.3 ounce per pound of his body weight for severe problems to occur. As your dog weighs 70 lbs that would be a substantial amount of chocolate far in excess of the one tablespoon { 0.5 ounce } he did in fact swallow.

Here is a link to a first class web site which covers the problem in depth including symptoms and toxic doses LINK . Of course if any symptoms occur you should call your vet but this would be very unlikely.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Related Dog Veterinary Questions