Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist
19414232

Hi...i saw a tiny skinny white worm coming out of my dogs butt.......what

Customer Question

Hi...i saw a tiny skinny white worm coming out of my dogs butt.......what kind of worm is this & is it contagious to humans? Also my puppy was outside dragging her butt on the cement....does that mean she has worms also? I bought over the counter pills for both of them & have given them each the first dose but it doesn't say how long it takes to work & usually the dogs sleep on our bed.......so should they sleep somewhere else?

My name is Lisa & my e-mail isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I have a few questions that will help me answer you.

What medicine did you give them?

Do either of your dogs have fleas,or did the have fleas recently?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They both were treated for fleas @ the groomers with Frontline Plus about 1 1/2 months ago.

I have given the adult dog one tablet of Pyrantel pamoate & the puppy on tablet of the same thing.
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 4 years ago.
Lisa, Thanks for the information

I see the medicine now listed on your original post. It was not visible to me initially, sorry to have re-asked. The Pyrantel pamoate is excellent for the puppy, but it will not treat what I think your dog has.

Usually worms that come out like you describe are tapeworms and need to be treated by a medicine called Praziquantel. It is sometimes sold under the brand name Droncit. It should be given based on label directions and is based on weight. Tapeworms come from fleas and the get them when cleaning themselves and swallow fleas. If they both had fleas, they probably both need to be treated. Tapeworms are pretty species specific and would not be contagious to you.

The Pyrantel pamoate needs to also be dosed based on weight and should be done again in 3 weeks for adequate coverage for both dogs. After the treatments are all done, I would suggest taking a fecal sample in to your vet's to be checked for any possible remaining parasites. As long as you don't have any more flea problems you will not have tapeworm problems.

The puppy could be scooting his bottom because it is irritated, possibly by intestinal parasites, also older dog sometimes do this when anal glands are filled up and need expressing.

I hope this helps

Please let me know if you have any follow-on questions