Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My dog has red and inflamed skin around the anus and the urinary

Customer Question

My dog has red and inflamed skin around the anus and the urinary area. She licks and bites the area frequently. I've checked for fleas and ticks--there are none. She is on Advantage. What could be the problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

What breed is the dog?

How old?

Does she seem in pain?

Is the tail down?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is an Australian Cattle dog mix and is 8 years old. She doesn't seem to be in pain and is eliminating normally. Her tail is not down.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
You may have a skin allergy, a staph infection or an anal gland impaction. You can try Benadryl(diphenhydramine) at .5-1 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. If the redness persists after 24 hours it is not an allergy. You can also try topical antibiotic ointment if you can keep her from licking it off. If not, you need oral antibiotics. The anal glands need to be checked by your vet or a dog groomer that knows how to express them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I will try the Benadryl and then take her to my vet if there is no improvement in 24 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
That is a good plan. Good Luck!