Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian

I have a 4 month old english bulldog puppy that weighs about

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old english bulldog puppy that weighs about 20 pounds. I feed him about 1 cup of food twice daily. The breeder saw my puppy and told me that he needs to eat 2 cups twice daily. I started this new food amount but after 1 day of the additional food it seems that he is having massive soft stools. What is the proper amount of food I should feed him daily
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Feeding guidelines aren't straightforward because there is so much variation between breed and even individuals within a breed. I typically have owners feed three times daily and start at 75% of what the bag represents for the size of your dog (I find that the food companies always overestimate the amount necessary to feed). Then monitor your dog's weight as he grows. You should always be able to easily feel ribs by running your fingers over his chest, but should not be able to see them (as this would be too thin). You also want to be able to observe an obvious waste (an hourglass type shape). Increase or decrease food as needed to maintain this ideal body condition. As far as the soft stools go, I'd be concerned of parasites or another underlying issue as overfeeding shouldn't cause soft stool, just increased amount of stool produced. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
A side note, I typically go to 2x/day feeding when the dog's growing has significantly slowed, so in your bulldog's case, around 10-12 months you can wean off puppy food and go back to 2x/day feeding...