CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336
Dog Veterinary

why does my dog keep stretching out her back legs

?
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

How old is your dog?

Breed?

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
9 year old female dachshund.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 7 years ago.

Is she eating ok?

Vomiting?

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Yes. I just took her outside again. She had a normal bowel movement. She tried to pee, but didn't have anything.
HI there,

Thank you for your post!

It is possible this is nothing more than just plain stretching...

Some dogs can stretch their legs like this when they have belly pain - but if she is eating well, not vomiting, normal poop, etc - this is less likely...

But - if this is not normal muscle stretching...what else could this be?

Using a little breed discrimination, this breed is predisposed to back problems. What I am referring to specifically would be back pain due to the start of a herniated disc.

Here is a link which I think will be very helpful with information and pictures about this process.

LINK TO CLICK ON

If these stretching signs continue, I would recommend making an appointment with your veterinarian for an evaluation. They will be able to feel the hips, knees, and do a neurological examination to look for back pain.

If they find back pain, decreased activity and several days of an anti-inflammatory pain medication will likely be discussed.

Please let me know if this helps or your have additional questions!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
I have another dog with a back problem and I'm not sure this is it. She continues to jump on and off the couch with ease. She is literally stopping to stretch every 30 seconds. Should I take her in to the emergency vet? She has been doing this for 30 minutes.
Hi there,

I am not sure you have offered information for me to say - yes! Definitely the ER.

From what you have described, although there is stretching...

- Eating well
- Normal feces
- No breathing changes
- Jumping around with no problem.

The only part of your post which I could potentially reach out and say there is a problem...

When you wrote about the urination above - if there is any chance that he can NOT urinate and has a blockage - and is stretching from this...then I would go to the ER....

I am not saying NO - DONT go...if you are worried that may be best, XXXXX XXXXX am just trying to give you my thought process over the internet...

But this is just an internet post - not an examination - and if you are worried - that may be best...

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
OK, she just vomited her breakfast.
Hi there,

That makes more sense to me - in my first post I listed belly pain as a cause...

This would be more reason for me to say it may be good to go to the vet to make sure everything is ok!