CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my maltese has bad breath how can i get rid of it

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

How old is your dog?

When did you notice this?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she is just a year old and she has just returned from a stay at the vets due to me going on vacation
Hi there,

Thank you for your reply :)

In general I would say that the most common causes for bad breath typically include:

- Dental disease which has led to bad breath

- Systemic disease such as kidney disease and build up of toxins

- Endocrine disease - such as diabetes which can also change the odor of the mouth.

Going back to topic 1 - dental disease - even if the teeth look good - just like us when we wake up in the morning - it is not that the teeth look terrible - but the buildup of bacteria in the mouth lead to the odor and bad breath...which is why we are advised to brush our teeth as often as we do.

This is why for me - I would first recommend starting to brush your dog's teeth. This should definitely help.

The other option would be to use products such as this:

If this does not help - bloodwork should be considered to make sure there is not a systemic problem for the change in breath or skin odor.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.