Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

My 11-lb maltese just ate about 8-10 small green grapes (grapes

My 11-lb maltese just ate about 8-10 small green grapes (grapes bred to be small, don't know the kind). What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. Grape toxicity can cause kidney failure and for a small dog this could be a toxic dose. Give your dog 2-3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to cause vomiting and repeat it in 10 minutes. Typically medications are given to prevent further absorption of the grapes in the intestinal tract and fluids are given to help prevent the kidney failure. For this an emergency clinic visit is necessary. Here's a website that goes into the symptoms and problems with grapes:

If you have more questions please let me know.

Do you have any more questions I can answer for you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That I cannot ask a couple of follow-up questions without paying for each and every one is crazy. I don't think I'll use this service again.
You can ask follow up questions. You can reply back as much as you'd like. You don't pay everytime you reply back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oh -- sorry. That wasn't clear from all of the boxes and "Accept" buttons. One of the Accept buttons even says I'd have to pay again.

Anyway, my dog threw up after the H2O2. Contents were about 5-6 SMALL green grapes. My wife says they're Champaign Grapes. Very small. We didn't do the H2O2 again because it seems he threw everything up in three good heaves. Would you say he's okay? and just watch him closely?
Honestly its hard to say. While some dogs can eat a certain amount of grapes and be fine, some can get deathly ill. Unfortunately, there is no way to know what your dog will do because the toxicity is not fully understood. It is great news that you've managed to get him to vomit up the grapes. The website I listed has all the symptoms of toxicity for the short term and also a little later when the kidney disease starts to develop. My recommendation would still be to take him in but if you decide not to do that then watch for the signs of toxicity. If these occur then don't hesitate to take him in immediately or kidney failure could result.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did you get paid yet? I hit Accept, but all of the boxes and e-mails I'm getting are really confusing. I want to make sure you get paid.
You payment came through. Thank you. Have a good night and good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, doctor. I gave him more H2O2 and he is now throwing up pure foam, nothing else. I think I'm just going to watch him overnight. The grapes weren't in his stomach for more than about 15 minutes and I think they're all gone. What would you do if it were your dog?
More than likely he will be just fine since you got to it quickly but if he were mine I'd still take him in to be safe.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks again. Please be sure to re-send me a survey/feedback form.

--Greg Schrom
You are welcome Greg. Good luck.