Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

how long does it take a female dog to show that they are pregnant

how long does it take a female dog to show that they are pregnant with puppies. How long does being on heat last???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the questionsCustomer

1. Pregnancy in the dog lasts for between 63 - 65 days.

2. Sometimes it can be difficult as an owner to determine if your dog is pregnant. The most reliable signs would be that in the last third of pregnancy you will see an increase in the size of your dog's abdomen and breast development. Alternatively your vet can check if your dog is pregnant by such means as ultrasound from around the three week mark.

3. From start to finish dogs are in season for around three weeks.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

during the three weeks when is the best time that a bitch can be fertilized? My problem is that i think she has been on heat for almost two and half weeks now. our dog was with her but died only 4 days ago and since then another dog has been with her. we are deciding if we should wait for the puppies to come or have them aborted as we don't want them to be from the other dog as he is only a maltese x. We are in a very sticky situation. please help us???

Hello again,

Dogs can only conceive in a very narrow window in time, this would normally be between day 11 and day 13 when you count day 1 as the first show of blood of the season.

If she has been in season for twenty days and your dog died four days ago it would be unlikely that the Maltese X would be the father.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.