Dr. John
Dr. John, Small animal veterinarian, ER vet
Experience:  significant surgical and medicine background, currently working as emergency clinic veterinarian

What is the average cost to remove cataracts from a dog

What is the average cost to remove cataracts from a dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Was the dog diagnosed with cataracts (old dogs can get lenticular sclerosis which looks like a grayish color to the lenses and is often mistaken for cataracts)? Is it blind? You will have to check with an ophthalmologist in your area for an exact price but I have seen it anywhere from $1500 - $2000 PER eye. It is an advanced procedure and has a high success rate, however I have seen some surgeries fail and you will still be out the $1500+ so keep that in mind. Does the dog have glaucoma as well?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We rescued this dog a month ago. He had obviously been homeless for some time, very matted, skinny and flea ridden. It was easy to tell that he was blind. We had him shaved and bathed by a groomer who told us she was "pretty sure" he had cataracts. She said that the condition of his back teeth and his cataracts indicated that he might be between 8 and 10 years old, but that she could not be sure. He is a very special little dog, and we love him so much! We are not able financially to have this kind of surgery done, I knew it would be costly. I do thank you for your response.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Absolutely, most dogs do not have this surgery and do fine with the cataracts and blindness so no worries if you are unable to afford it. Cataracts look like a white crystal in each eye, so if that is what you are seeing, you can be almost certain that's what it is. Good luck with your new dog!