Deb Jankura
Deb Jankura, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years experience in progressive small animal practice
9480295

MY DOG IS NOT ACTING NORMAL - DOES NOT WANT TO GET UP AND SEEMS

MY DOG IS NOT ACTING NORMAL - DOES NOT WANT TO GET UP AND SEEMS LIKE HE HAS A FEVER. Is this a normal illness or something serious?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Deb Jankura replied 7 years ago.

There is nothing normal about being hot and not wanting to move,

Has he ever done anything like this before? Does he have any history of lameness?
Can you take his temperature rectally with a plastic digital thermometer?
Do you live in an area where there are ticks?
Is he breathing hard? What color are his gums?

there are a few possibilities, some of which may need urgent care, let me know this information for now
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No he has not done this before. He is not breathing hard and his gums are normal (pink). We live in FL. He is drinking but turning away food and toys. I don't have a thermometer here.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good the gums are pink and breathing is not labored. A spontaneous bleed into the abdomen can cause these signs- usually the gums are pale and breathing rapid.

He had a checkup or any blood test lately?
Here in the northeast- fever and severe lethargy can be caused by Lyme disease

fill me in
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he was boarded at the vet back in July but his annual check up is in october. He isn't what I would call "severely" lethargic....he is normally pretty hyper and he is just laying around, not coming when we call....
okay, can you tell if his ears feel hot? Try giving him an ice cube and see if he is interested. If his behavior is really abnormal for him and he feels hot then you will have to make the call== get help tonight or wait till morning. He sounds stable but I cannot be sure without examining him. If you are concerned then you should have him seen tonight,

Watch him closely, by morning he may be fine or could be more sick. Act appropriately/