Doc Evan
Doc Evan, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Vet since 1985. Board-Certified in Vet Cancer Medicine. Private and University Practice
19694045

my dogs eyes and mouth are suddenly swollen. Gave him a benadryl.

my dogs eyes and mouth are suddenly swollen. Gave him a benadryl. He has no other symtoms
Sounds very much like he had an allergic reaction such as to an insect bite or bee sting. Sometimes their face swells up so much there eyes get closed up. It usually causes no problem and will get start to get better within 24 hours. THe only thing is to make sure they can breath okay and are not having a hard time breathing. If they do, then they need to go to a vet emergency. Giving benadryl is exactly what we recommend. Give it every 8 hours. 1 mg per pound ,just give the number of pills closest to the dose. It is very safe drug to give. Nothing else to do for him except to watch him.
Doc Evan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If he is going to have trouble breathing, how soon would that start? If we watch him for the next couple of hours are we safe to go to sleep?
It would typically happen within the first 30 minutes...so if you watch him for an hour, it should be fine.
Doc Evan