Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist
19414232

My four year old Maltipoo gets sick and vomits, more than I

My four year old Maltipoo gets sick and vomits, more than I would like. She vomits a yellow liquid and seems to feel fine afterward. Mainly in the mornings. She is an indoor dog. Why does she get sick like this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I think I can help. What you are describing sounds like a condition, often called "idiopathic bilious vomiting syndrome" in dogs. It is typically due to bile reflux from the intestines into an empty stomach. It irritates the stomach lining and causes dogs to vomit some bile and foamy stuff. They sometimes eat grass to help this process along. It happens in some dogs more than others and most often early in the morning after a long period of not eating. There are a few simple things you can do to see if you can reduce the frequency of this happening: Feed a small snack just before bedtime, something like a 1/4 cup of cooked white rice.. Also you can start feeding her 1-2 teaspoons/day of active culture yogurt. This can be given with the evening snack. This helps reduce the amount of bile that fills the gallbladder during the night.

If this does not help you may need to consult with the veterinarian there about putting her on something medication to protect the gastrointestinal tract and doing a work-up to see if there is something more serious going on with her gastrointestinal tract..

I hope this helps

Please let me know if you have any follow-on questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Her food bowl is available to her all night, and she usually wakes up to have a little snack... sometimes she sleeps through the night. She's eight pounds and she doesn't eat a lot. I scoop her food with a 1/4 cup measuring cup and she'll eat this amount in about 24 hours. Is she eating enough?
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 5 years ago.
Yes, she probably is eating enough of her regular food as long as she is not losing weight.

Is she getting any snacks during the day or people food? People food can also cause irritation of the pancreas and similar symptoms.

I would still try the yogurt and a bit of rice, maybe a tablespoon, before you go to bed to see if that helps. The yogurt does wonders to settle an irritated stomach and the rice is a good substrate for the stomach acids and bile to work-on.

If that does not work she may have to be put on an antacid like Cimetidine (Tagamet) or Famotidine (Pepcid) to control the stomach acids.
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist