FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

My dog is bleeding from his private area after urinating, i

Customer Question

My dog is bleeding from his private area after urinating, i have brought him in twice and they cant figure it out. He also has some large black spots (they thought bruising) on the area under the outer skin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 7 years ago.

Have they done an ultrasound to look for bladder stones?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no they have not, i am in a rural area, they have refered me to a place in the city.

this doesnt happen all the time.

first time was about a month ago, i came home from work and there was a large 10-12" spot of blood on the carpet and many smaller spots in the area. when i looked at the inside part of his penis there were large black spots, i took him in and they gave the medicam, the spots seemed to go away

then on the 18th i again noticed some small spots of blood and black marks though not nearly as bad this time, brought him back in and they did the same

today after coming in from outside he again got blood spots on the carpet and when i went to check his area some blood and clear fluid came out

he is not fixed, i have noticed for awhile now (a year or so) that about once a month when he sleeps he leaves a wet spot that doesnt smell like urine and has always been clear, dont know if any of this is related

sorry for the long reply, thank-you for your time.

I would be concerned about 1 of two things....

1. He has bladder stones.   He may be occasionally passing soem small stones. If they get stuck at his penis area, perhaps that's what is causing the bruising in his penis?

2. He may have a urinary tract infection, possibly secondary to a prostate infection. If he had a prostate infection, he may be painful and feel sick. He wouldn't feel sick with a urinary tract infection.

I would highly recommend a trek to the vet in the city.... male dogs with stones can have a life threatening situation develop if they get obstructed and can't pee.   So, it would be best to know.... and to know what to look for.

I hope that this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he doesnt seem sick or in pain and is urinating normally, would a UTI still be the greatest possibility? also the vet checked his prostate and said it wasnt inflamed or abnormally large

thanks again
Good, then I would say it could either be a UTI, or bladder stones.

OR possibly both, because bladder stoens predispose to UTI's

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i also just found something online about rat poison causing these symptoms, is this the case? i did have him over at someone elses house recently and caught him licking one of the blocks. i do have the stuff around my house but never noticed him show any interest in it. if this is a likely cause what do i do about it?

thanks again for your time, i do plan to accept your answer.

It's unlikely to be rat poisoning if it's happened previously. If this was the only episode then I would be a little more suspicious. If this MIGHT be rat poisoning, I would get to the vet right away.... that can be life threatening if not caught early enough.
But I don't think that it's that....but couldn't confirm that without doing a clotting time to confirm.

Dr C
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you i will be sure to mention this to the emergency center and have them do a clotting test