Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My french bull dogs front dew claw has a large red lump around

My french bull dogs front dew claw has a large red lump around it.It doesn't bother him and does not appear painful.I just noticed it a couple days ago,no drainage or discharge.He's walking fine and playing as normal.What culd this be and what should I do?

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of this situation:

• How much does he weigh?
  • Does he take any medications or have any medical conditions?
  • Does the bump completely surround the dewclaw?
  • Does it appear raw or irritated?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He weighs 23 pounds.No medical conditions,very healthy,on no meds.The bump is on the inside of his front front dew claw closest to the inside of hisleg.Not raw,open or weepy it's about 1/2 cm to 1 cm round.He allows me to touch it,it's soft.

Is it covered with hair or bare?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'ts bare.

While an infection or insect sting is possible (typically there would be some drainage, bleeding or pain), it is also possible this could be a skin mass that needs veterinary attention. There is no harm in trying some medications and treatment at home for a day or two more but if it does not improve then have it checked. Here are some things to try:

• Warm espson salt soaks are fine for 5-10 minutes twice daily
  • You can give 1 and 1/2 of the 81mg aspirin every 12 hours for swelling and inflammation. It can be given safely for 2-3 days.
  • You can also try 25mg of benadryl every 12 hours. It may make him sleepy but is very safe and may also reduce the size some.

If you have more questions please let me know.