CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

why would my dogs urine smell sweet

why would my dogs urine smell sweet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

How old is your dog?

Drinking more than you would expect?

Eating more?

Weight loss?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

17 and a half

yes-& urinates right away

eating slightly less

no weightloss so far

Hi there,

The most common reason and diagnosis for sweet urine is actually Diabetes. Diabetes is what we normally say, but the full name isXXXXX

When this was discovered in the 1600s - it was the taste of the urine - sweet urine - which is how the diagnosis was made...

The reason it is sweet is that the glucose that is high in the blood spills into the urine from the kidneys - making it sweet.

I would recommend a simple blood test from your veterinarian as well as a urine sample to check for increase sugar (glucose) in the urine to help rule-in or rule-out this as the cause.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.