CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog ate a bone and is throwing up. What should I do to help Thank

My dog ate a bone and is throwing up. What should I do to help?
Thank you
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

How old is your dog?

When did he eat the bone?

When did the vomiting start?

How often is he vomiting?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Auggie, is a 6 year old mixed breed part mastiff and pit bull. He is threw up once last night and this morning. There are bone shards. the bone shards look like a heavy bone either pork or beef bone.

Thank you

Thank you for your post and reply!

The only recommendation here - unfortunately - is to see your veterinarian or local ER if your veterinarian is not open.

Priority number 1 is to make sure there are no signs of an intestinal blockage from eating the bone.

If there is a blockage - there is no alternative - surgery will be needed as this can be life threatening.

If there is NO blockage - medications for nausea and even coating medications for the stomach can be prescribed.

But - with the history of bone ingestion and vomiting - x-rays are VERY important right now to make sure this is not life threatening.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.