Dr. CW
Dr. CW, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Amost 10yrs of clinical experience in small animal and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My Dog is in day 46 of pregnancy. She has teat development,

Customer Question

My Dog is in day 46 of pregnancy. She has teat development, hair thinning on her stomach but I cannot yet 'feel ' the pups move in her. She is a anatolin shepard, her wieght was 75 lbs before being breed and her age is 1 1/2 yrs. I have been told that it is sometimes hard to 'feel' pups in this size of dog. When could I expect to 'feel' them?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. CW replied 7 years ago.

How exciting to be expecting puppies. You should be able to feel the puppies at this stage, but people are right that it can sometimes be hard to feel them in larger breed dogs. Sometimes even veterinarians can't palpate them well with years of experience. Other signs like mammary developement, enlarging belly and vulva can really let us know that a dog is pregnant. If you want to know how many there are (always a good idea to make sure when she gives birth that she has passed them all), you might consider a trip to your vet for xrays +/- ultrasound.

You may already have most of this information, but just in case you don't, here is a great link on what to expect when during your dog's pregnancy and whelping. It even gives great information on what problemscould occur, what to do, and when it might be necessary to contact your vet.

I hope this helps. If there are any further questions, just reply and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Dr. CW