Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My parents female dog is peeing a rusty brown color. Is this

My parents female dog is peeing a rusty brown color. Is this something to be concerned about?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a few questions to better assist you?
1) How old is this dog?
2) Is she urinating more frequently and having accidents in the house?
3) How long has this been going on?
4) Is she otherwise still active, eating, and playing normally?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1. She is 2 years old

2. Yes she is urinating more frequently and she has been peeing when people come in the house and she hasn't done that in a good 1 1/2 years

3. It's been going on for 4 days now

4. Yes she is acting normal otherwise.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
Ok. The fact that she's having a discolored urine, increased urinary frequency and inappropriate urination in the house all make me very suspicious that she could easily have a urinary tract infection. If she has some bacteria in her bladder, that irritation could cause the discoloration due to blood being in the urine. The irritation would also cause an increase urgency to urinate, thus the increased frequency.

At this point, I would definitely get her into your vet as soon as possible to have them evaluate her. Most likely they'll want to take a urine sample for analysis and take an abdominal x-ray (to look for bladder stones). Depending on what they find, they most likely will start up antibiotics for a cystitis. These are pretty uncomfortable, so the sooner they get her in, the sooner she can have relief from this situation.