CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My 2 year old Weimaraner has very bad gas. It smells like

My 2 year old Weimaraner has very bad gas. It smells like Cod Liver Oil. Occasionally this is accompanied by a clear fluid that seeps out of his bottom. It may also be burning or irritating him, because after this occurs, he licks it for a while. He is on Innova [ dry food ] Thank you. [email protected]
Hi there,

Thank you for your post!

Is the stool normal? Diarrhea?

Is he eating well?

Weight loss?

Vomiting?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
For the most part stool is normal,no diarrhea, { that is in less of course, he has eaten a glove , whole, downed a bottle of thyroid pills} he is a weim!!!! He eats like a football player [in season] I run him twice daily. He maintains weight of 90Lbs. { he is also on Glucosamine tabs }
I have heard there are times dogs need anal sacks drained. I've have had lots of dogs never that issue?
Thanks
Hi there,

Of course, making sure there is not an underlying cause for the flatulence...such as metabolic or endocrine diseases with tests such as bloodwork (CBC and Chemistry Screen) as well an evaluate of the feces for parasites, protozoa, or abnormal bacteria, there are some dogs that will have either a food hypersensitivity or even a food allergy that can lead to a food hypersensitivity and flatulence.

Moreover, to fully diagnose certain intestinal diseases even an ultrasound or biopsies of the intestines can be considered.

With that said...Just like in people, certain foods may not "agree" with dogs and cause increased flatulence.

One option is to try a different regular brand of dog food to see if your dog tolerates that brand better.

The other option would be a prescription diet used for situations of food hypersensitivities or food allergies. These would need to be prescribed by a veterinarian. The basis of this hypersensitivity is that there is an allergy to the protein in the food.

So...our options would be:

- Novel protein such as duck, lamb, rabbit, etc. The goal of these diets is to have a protein not in typical food such as chicken or beef. The body will then not react to the new protein as it has never seen the protein before.

- Hydrolyzed diet - although the protein is chicken or beef or something more common, the protein is "chopped up" so small that the intestine does not reconize it as a normal protein.

So - I would try diet change first.

The other option would be to add a small amount of fiber to the diet such as bran, canned pumpkin, or metamucil - 2 tablespoons every 12 hours to help have a more normal, fuller bowel movement and to decrease flatulence.

I hope this information helps :) Please let me know if you have other questions!!!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.