Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

My dog has stomach cramps, belly is rock hard and he's shaking

my dog is having stomach cramps so severe that his tummi is rock hard and shaking and his back is bowed up trying to get some relief. he is in alot of pain. i dont know if its something he ate though i'm pretty sure it's not. can someone please tell me whats wrong with my 4 yr. old baby dog. hes sick and needs help. what household remedy can i use because thats all i can use right now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of this situation:

• When did this start?
  • How much does your dog weigh?
  • Are his gums pink?
  • Is he straining to urinate or defecate?
  • Has he passed stool or urine recently?
  • Has he had any vomiting?
  • Is his stomach bloated like a balloon?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

10 hours ago

19 lbs

he can urinate but not defecate

urine yes, stool no.

no, but he acts nauseated

seems bloated but it is hard to the touch and he is shaking

Does he have any other medical conditions or take any other medications?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. He's a very, very spoiled member of the family. We've not changed his dog food nor have we changed his doggie treats. He doesn't have fleas or ticks.....inside dog.

Thank you for the information. This certainly sounds like a blockage or even severe constipation. There are a few things you can try at home but a vet visit may still be necessary:

• Add canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food and encourage him to drink as much as possible. Warm chicken broth may tempt him. The fiber in the pumpkin can help constipation and the fluids may also help.
  • Give him a 1/8 teaspoon of simethicone drops (pediatric mylicon) every 6-8 hours. It may help with gas buildup.
  • You can give one dose of an 81mg buffered aspirin for pain. It can cause other stomach problems so I don't recommend giving more than one dose
  • You can try giving a warm water enema. About 2-3 tablespoons every 4-6 hours may help loosen any stool stuck in the colon. You can use a dropper and some vaseline for lubrication.

Here are some sites that may be able to help if taking him to the vet is a financially difficult:

If you have more questions please let me know.