Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.

My dog has horrible fall allergies. They have started. She

My dog has horrible fall allergies. They have started. She is biting at her feet/legs, sneezing and her snout around the whisker area is getting puffy. I have been giving her Solid Gold Seameal (high in all the Omegas) for a couple weeks now but she is still constantly itching. Wiping down her legs with baby wipes helps briefly. She has K9 Advantix on so I know it's not fleas. Her allergies usually kick up about the same time mine do. She goes to the vet next week. However, in the meantime....

My vet said I could give her children's anti-histamine syrup. She got sick on Benedryl but did pretty well on Children's Loratadine Syrup (I think that's generic for claritin?) I have a bottle that is 5 mg/5mL but I don't remember how much I gave her. She weighs about 40 pounds.
Hello there,

The dose for the loratadine is 9 mg for a 40 pound dog. You should give 2 ml or 2 cc if you have a syringe.