MVP VET
MVP VET, Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years in general practice, own my own practice, CCRP, pennHIP, AVDS, AVMA, & MVMA member, CGC, TDI

My dog has had a UTI and has white/red blood cells in his urine.

Customer Question

My dog has had a UTI and has white/red blood cells in his urine. Two weeks antibiotic treatment for infection, then two weeks antibiotic treatment for the red / white blood cells in his urine. X-ray shows no abnormalties. Other than urinating frequently while awake, with no accidents during the four to five hour periods I'm at work, he's acting like his regular, cute self. Spike is an 11 year old Cairn Terrier who has been very well cared for his whole life.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  MVP VET replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your post. Has his increased frequency improved since being on antibiotics or is it unchanged? Are you wondering whether he still has a UTI or do you have another question? Is he neutered?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm taking him out more often to avoid in house accidents. Still urinating frequently, but holds it during the 4 or 5 hour between trips home from work. He is urinating less since the antibiotics, but not back to his usual routine. Throughtout this situation he has not got me up to go out at night (7 - 8 hours). He was neutered at 6 months of age.

Expert:  MVP VET replied 4 years ago.
Were the antibiotics based on a urine culture? Was it collected via a cystocentesis? If either of these are not the case, I would have a post antibiotic culture done (about 1 week after finishing) to ensure that the infection is gone. If the infection is gone and he still has increased frequency, I would check bloodwork for kidney, or endocrine related problems (diabetes, Cushings) and have your vet do a good rectal exam to make sure his prostate isn't causing the problem. Also consider if he is on any other medications that may cause him to urinate more (steroids).
I hope this answers your question. Please write back if I can help further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

As I mentioned in my initial post, the infection and white / red blood cells are still present in his urine even after two courses of antibiotics.

Our vet has suggested the urine culture in a few days after being off the antibiotics along with an ultrasound of his bladder.

He had total blood work a couple months ago before he had his teeth cleaned and it was within normal ranges all around.

My vet is in Sarasota Florida and she was named one of the 100 Best Veterinarians in the US. I have 100% faith in her - yet I'm petrified he may have cancer and die.

His other medications are Atopica for allergies and Benedryl for scratching. He has inhalation grass allergies.

Expert:  MVP VET replied 4 years ago.
I understand your concern. I'm glad you have confidence in your veterinarian. It sounds like she has a good plan. If the original antibiotics were not based on a culture, there is still a good chance that infection is the cause of the persistent blood cells. If the culture and the ultrasound are negative, I still would consider rechecking his bloodwork as 3 months in a dog's life is approximately 2 of our years! Also consider that Atopica (cyclosporine) is an immunosuppressant (though not as strong as steroids) and may make infection harder to cure.
<br />Are there any other questions I can help with?
MVP VET, Veterinarian
Experience: 5 years in general practice, own my own practice, CCRP, pennHIP, AVDS, AVMA, & MVMA member, CGC, TDI
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I'll ask about the allergy pills, doing his annual bloodwork now instead of Sept and ask if a rectal exam was done when I brought him in for an xray. If not, we'll do that Monday. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I received an email today asking me to submit more questions. I won't be doing that. On 8/24/09, my dog was diagnosed with inoperable Transitional Cell Carcinoma of the bladder.