That is what I needed...
Anticoagulant rodenticides such as this one are quite common. The toxic
nature of this poison causes animals to bleed to death
. It accomplishes this by inhibiting Vitamin K metabolism. It takes approximately 48 hours after ingestion for clotting test abnormalities to develop, and an additional 24 hours before clinical bleeding
Based on your information I have 2 options:
1) Take your dog to the ER. They will make him vomit, administer activated charcoal, and then discuss the need for other medication.
2) Make your dog vomit at home. The 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide has been used successfully as an emetic agent. Stronger concentrations may be more of a problem. The general dose is 5 mls/ 5 pounds- not to exceed 3 tablespoons.
The best option, if possible is option 1. going to the ER is the best recommendation.
After making your dog vomit - your veterinarian can prescribe the antidote to reduce toxicity (Vitamin K1 - phytonadione). If you can not go to the veterinarian, it is possible you can find this at your local health food store - your dog will need 2.5mg/kg every 12 hours for 30 days
I hope this information helps!_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.