CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog just injested Tomcat rat poison. he is not showing any

My dog just injested Tomcat rat poison. he is not showing any symtoms but I am not sure how much he ingested. I am currently unemployed and don't have the money for vetinary emergencies. Is there any home treatments?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

On the back of the box - what is the active ingredient of the product?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I dont have the box. I know it is not warfarin. They say online that it kills warfarin resistant mice.

So it is an alternantive.

So you are sure that it is another anticoagulant clotting kind???

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. Here is the warning info:

Information below

Description

You May Also Like

Shipping Details

More Brands

Warnings

Reviews

Description

• Can kill in one feeding - Norway rats and house mice may consume a lethal dose in one nights feeding with first dead rodents appearing 4 or 5 days after feeding begins.
  • Ready to use. 1 oz.
  • Kills mice & rats.
  • Reliable, all weather block bait.
  • Multi edge shape gives rodents gnawing edges.
  • Can be used indoors or out.
  • Kills warfarin resistant Norway rats.

Easy Shopping:

Returning an Item? Read return policies Now acception PayPal Take 90 Days to Pay on Orders $99 or more! BillMeLater Subject to Credit Approval. Details.FREE shipping on 1000s of items. Learn more.

More Brands

Walgreens

Hot Shot

Raid

Bengal

JT Eaton

Riddex Plus

Black & Decker

Koolatron

Terro

Combat

Lentek

Tomcat

Enoz

Pic

d-CON

View all Indoor Pest Control

Site Features

Customer Reviews*

Review Snapshot® (Powered by PowerReviews.com) Be the first to review this product. Write a Review

* Disclaimer: Content on this site is for reference purposes only, based on reviews from users of the products. It is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed healthcare professional. User statements regarding dietary supplements and over-the-counter medications have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Walgreens assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products made by users of this website. Walgreens recommends that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer.

Instructions

• It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling.
  • Read this entire label and follow all use directions and use precautions.
  • Important: Do not expose children, pets or non target animals to rodenticides.
  • To Help To Prevent Accidents:
    1. Store unused product out of reach of children and pets.
    2. Apply bait in locations out of reach of children, pets domestic animals and nontarget wildlife, or in tamper resistant bait stations. These stations must be resistant to destruction by dogs and by children under six years of age, and must be used in a manner that prevents such children from reaching into bait compartments and obtaining bait. If bait can be shaken from bait stations when they are lifted, units must be secured or otherwise immobilized. Stronger bait stations are needed in areas open to hoofed, or in areas prone to vandalism.
    3. Dispose of product container and unused, spoiled, or unconsumed bait specified on this label.
  • Use Restrictions:
    • For control of Norway rats, roof rats and house mice.
    • Do not place bait in areas where there is a possibility of contaminating food or surfaces that come in direct contact with food.
    • When used in USDA-inspected facilities, this product must be applied in tamper-resistant bait stations.
    • Do not broadcast bait.
  • Urban Areas:
    • This product may be used in and around the periphery of homes, industrial, commercial, and public buildings.
    • May also be used in transport vehicles - ships, trains, aircraft - and in and around related port or terminal buildings.
    • May also be used in alleys.
    • Do not use in sewers.
  • Non-Urban Areas:
    • This product may be used inside of homes and agricultural buildings.
  • Selection of Treatment Areas:
    • Determine areas where rats or mice will most likely find and consume the bait.
    • Generally, these areas are along walls, by gnawed opening, in or besides burrows, in corners and concealed places.
    • Between floors and walls, or in locations where rodents or their signs have been seen.
    • Protect bait from rain and snow. Remove as much alternative food as possible.
  • Application Directions:
    • Each bait block in this container weighs approximately one ounce.
  • Rats:
    • Place 3 to 16 bait blocks - usually at intervals of 15 to 30 feet - per placement.
    • Maintain an uninterrupted supply of fresh bait for at least 10 days or until signs of rat activity cease.
  • Mice:
    • Place 1 block per placement. Space placements at 8 to 12 foot intervals. Two blocks may be needed at points of very high mouse activity.
    • Maintain an uninterrupted supply of fresh bait for at least 15 days or until signs of mouse activity cease.
  • Follow-up:
    • Replace contaminated or spoiled bait immediately.
    • Collect and dispose of all dead, expose animals and leftover bait.
    • To prevent reinfestation, limit sources of rodent food, water, and harborage as much as possible.
    • If reinfestation does occur, repeat treatment.
    • Where a continuous source of infestation is present, establish permanent bait stations and replenish as needed.
  • Storage and Disposal:
    • Do not contaminate water, food, or feed by storage or disposal.
  • Storage:
    • Store only in original container in a cool, dry place inaccessible to children and pets.
    • Keep containers closed and away from other chemicals.
  • Disposal:
    • If Empty: Do not reuse this container. Place in trash or offer for recycling if available.
    • If partially filled: Place in trash or call your local solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any indoor or outdoor drain.

Warnings

• Hazardous to humans and domestic animals.
  • Harmful if swallowed.
  • Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling.
  • Environmental Hazards:
    • This product is toxic to fish, birds and other wildlife.
    • Do not apply this product directly to water or to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark.
  • First Aid:
    • Have label with you when obtaining treatment advice.
    • If Swallowed:
      • Call a poison control center or doctor immediately for treatment advice.
      • Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow.
      • Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the poison control center or doctor.
    • If on Skin:
      • Wash with plenty of soap and water.
  • Note to Physician or Veterinarian:
    • If swallowed, this material may reduce the clotting ability of the blood and cause bleeding.
    • If ingested, administer Vitamin K1 Intramuscularly or orally as indicated in bishydroxycoumarin overdoses.
    • Repeat as necessary based on monitoring of prothrombin times.
Hi there,

That is what I needed...

Anticoagulant rodenticides such as this one are quite common. The toxic nature of this poison causes animals to bleed to death. It accomplishes this by inhibiting Vitamin K metabolism. It takes approximately 48 hours after ingestion for clotting test abnormalities to develop, and an additional 24 hours before clinical bleeding to develop.

Based on your information I have 2 options:

1) Take your dog to the ER. They will make him vomit, administer activated charcoal, and then discuss the need for other medication.

2) Make your dog vomit at home. The 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide has been used successfully as an emetic agent. Stronger concentrations may be more of a problem. The general dose is 5 mls/ 5 pounds- not to exceed 3 tablespoons.

The best option, if possible is option 1. going to the ER is the best recommendation.

After making your dog vomit - your veterinarian can prescribe the antidote to reduce toxicity (Vitamin K1 - phytonadione). If you can not go to the veterinarian, it is possible you can find this at your local health food store - your dog will need 2.5mg/kg every 12 hours for 30 days

I hope this information helps!
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist