Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

HELP my dog ate half of a bar of contrac blox, or rat poison

HELP my dog ate half of a bar of contrac blox, or rat poison, anticuagulant. She is 65 pound pitbull, should i be concern?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of this situation:

• How long ago was it eaten?
  • Does you dog have any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no other medical conditions and about 20 minutes ago

Rat poison actually causes a clotting disorder in the affected animal, leading to excessive bleeding, anemia and death. The good news is that is not an immediate poisoning and can take 12-24 hours to start but can then last in the body for 2-3 weeks. The symptoms of a problem are pale gums, coughing, bruising anywhere on the body, lethargy, and blood in the stool or urine. The antidote is a prescription of vitamin K and it is very effective. It is given for 2-3 weeks until the rat poison is out of her system. In this case, give her 5-6 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally. It will make her vomit and can be repeated 10 minutes later if necessary. Even though she may not have ingested any poison, it would be best to call your vet about getting a prescription for vitamin K. It is a very safe medication and relatively cheap. If you have more questions please let me know. Here's a link with more:
Do you have any more questions I can answer for you?