Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My dog has an enlarged liver and spleen being treated with

My dog has an enlarged liver and spleen being treated with hepato care and antibiotics for a bowel infection. Her blood results only have two areas which are slightly off the normal range.   The liver a spleen extend below the rib cage.   Should she be restricted in her activity.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 years ago.
I would not be concerned about restricting her activity because on radiographs it sounds like there was no evidence of a tumor/mass in the liver/spleen. If there was a mass, especially in the spleen, then there might be a risk of rupture of this mass and bleeding. With an intact liver/spleen there should be an extremely low chance of this. However, it would be advisable, if you have not done so already, to have fine needle aspirations of both the spleen and liver performed (using ultrasound guidance)and submitted to pathologist to try to determine the source of their enlargement.
- Dr. Zoe