DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.

My dog is itching and licking uncontrollably and whining while

My dog is itching and licking uncontrollably and whining while doing so. We just saw a Vet yesterday and he gave him a shot and some ear cream but did not diagnose a problem...the dog just started doing this last week as we were at my in laws. Could it be possible he got something in the woods as my in laws live on a river in the country? No fleas are present and his skin is extremely hot to the touch and red.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DocPaul replied 7 years ago.
You are correct to check for fleas-look along the back and towards the head ofthe tail-they like to run along there.

Other things to consider are: Mites-cheyletiella, sarcpotic-skin scrapes will rule these out. Bacterial infection-antibiotics will take care of that. Allergic disease-perhaps something the dogs skin came in contact with, or underlying food or inhalant(airborne) allergy.

In the interim pleade give 1-2.0mg/kg Benadryl by mouth and bathe the dog with a high quality dog shampoo. If you can find one with hydrocortisone in it even better.

A recheck at the vet on Monday is needed unless the above things work.