Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

I have a nine year old male, American Pit Bull Terrier. He

I have a nine year old male, American Pit Bull Terrier. He is in excellent health with the exception of chonic ear infections. Currently the ears are fine. I just let my dog out to use the restroom and I panicked when I saw he urine was tinged with blood. He allowed me to tissue dry his penis. It moisture tinged the tissue with a rose colored droplets. He seems fine. But I am not. Is there anything I can do for him this evening until I can get him into his vet tomorrow? What could be causing this? How serious is this?
Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

With a little bit of blood from the urine, there are usually a few possible causes, 1. urinary tract infection, 2. bladder stones, 3. cancer. The best way to tell what's going on is to run an urinalysis and perhaps an x-ray. There is no home remedies for the above problems, so the earlier we can get him to goto the veterinarian, the better it is. In terms of seriousness, as long as you can make sure that he will urinate, then we don't have any emergencies. Reason being, if we have bladder stones, then we have a chance for the stones to get lodged in the urethra, causing an obstruction, and that will prevent urine outflow, thus will become an emergency.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.