Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog ate mothballs. I called the vet and they said give

My dog ate mothballs. I called the vet and they said give her peptobismal. Is that sufficient to help her?
Hello there,

What weight and breed is your dog?

How many mothballs?

How long ago?

Are you seeing any symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Olivia is a 5 year old mini schnauzer who ways 22lbs, ate 1 or 2 about an hour ago. She has vomited, her vomit was all bubbly and white foam. We cannot get her to eat anything as the vet had suggested something bland. We tried bread, and we cannot get her to take the pepto.
Mothballs can cause serious problems in dogs. Hemolytic anemia and jaundice occur in severe cases. The small size of your dog is what has me concerned. 1-2 mothballs could be a toxic dose for her. I would not take a chance in this case. I would have her treated at the vet office. They can give her activated charcoal to absorb any toxin remnants and something to stop the stomach upset. If you can't get anything into her at home, your vet is going to be needed. She needs medication. I would schedule an appointment ASAP or see if you can drop her off for a few hours for treatment and monitoring.

Hope this helps,