CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog (pomeranian) has been having blood in his stool and

My dog (pomeranian) has been having blood in his stool and has not been acting like himself, what could be wrong?
HI there,

How old is your dog?

When did this start?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is 6yrs old. He is drinking but hardly eating. No vomiting. This started Saturday, he seemed better Sunday (he ate with no blood in stool) , then on Monday he hardly ate again and I seen blood in his stool. Also he just sits up and will not lay down. This is NOT normal for him.
How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is 7 and 1/2 lbs.
From your history - it certainly sounds like there may be a gastroenteritis or colitis. This can be from many different causes including eating something abnormal and even certain types of infections including intestinal parasites, giardia, and coccidia.

The best way to tell what is the cause would be to have your veterinarian do an examination and perform some tests including evaluation fo the feces for parasites and protozoa.

Here is a great link that talks about colitis.

Here is a great link that talks about gastroenteritis.

If you would like to try conservative management at home, you can try to offer a bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken). I would try this for about 1 week, hoping that he improves over this time.

You can also consider giving 2.5mg of Pepcid A/C (famotidine) by mouth every 24 hours for 5 days for stomach upset. You can purchase this over the counter.

Hopefully with a little food change / bland diet, everything will be better in a few days, but it may be a good idea for veterinary evaluation.

Certainly if he becomes more lethargic, begins to vomit, or has other concerning signs such as worsening blood in the stool, I would recommend a veterinary visit sooner!

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.