Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

How much Benadryl do I give my dog, who has hives, he weights

How much Benadryl do I give my dog, who has hives, he weights 47lbs and he is an 5 month old American Bull dog??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a few questions to better assist you?
1) Did this little one get vaccinated today?
2) How is he acting now? Down and dumpy? Alert? Vomiting?
3) Has he had diphenhydramine before?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Here's the story he got diarrhea on Sunday night and Monday morning I took him into my vet. They did a full exam, blook work, urine, and gave him a shot of Pen B. They told me to keep him on a bland diet for a few days so they gave me some Canine I/d to fed him. They also gave me Amoxitabs which I haven't given him any yet. Last night I only gave him like a 1/4 of the can because he had been vomiting as well so they told me to give him a little to see if he could hold it down. This morning I gave him the rest of that can of food and at dinner I gave him another can. I was going to give him some more after a couple of hours but noticed he started to get these hives all over his body after dinner. I called the vet immediately and they told me I could give him Bendadryl one 25 mg tablet every 12 hours but his hives are not getting better and he is just bitting himself and scratching like crazy. After reading on the internet I read you could give dogs one mg per pound, so I thought I would double check on this website. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
You are definitely correct on the dosing of the diphenhydramine. It can be dosed at 1 to 2 mg per pound every 12 hours. So the dose that your little one has got up to this point in time has been a pretty light one.

He hasn't vomited since yesterday then I take it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The diarrhea has seem to gotten better but every couple of hours he seem to throw up just a little bit of water not his food. I'm not sure what is going on with him?? Do you think I need to take him to the vet tonight?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
Ok. The fact that he's throwing up every couple hours has me very concerned. If the vomiting has been going on all day like this, then I'd be worried about him getting dehydrated. I also am worried about the possible cause of the vomiting. I would think that a visit to the vet clinic tonight would be a very good idea to see what can be done to help settle his stomach.