Kelly, Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal private practice

my dog wont put his front paw down on the ground to walk on

Customer Question

my dog won't put his front paw down on the ground to walk on all fours. There is some kind of puffy pink bump on his paw look like some kind of infection. He won't walk on it so I'm assuming it's sore and painful. I don't have money to take him to the vet right now but I feel bad cause he's in pain. Do you have any idea what it might be and how I can treat it at home? Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. FromCustomer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 years ago.
Hi there! I can give you a few suggestions to try, but nothing will take the place of having a veterinarian examine your dog.

First you can try hot packs on the swollen area. This will help with pain while helping to loosen up anything under the skin. The infection is under the skin and will eventually tunnel up and burst through the skin and become an open sore. The hot packs will continue to help with this. Once the swelling is open and draining, you can try to squeeze as much of the pus out as you can. Then you can get a syringe and some sterile water and try to flush out the open sore. Then you can apply some neosporin to it. Continue with this until it is healed.

For pain, you can try to use some baby aspirin to help. I would use a half of a baby aspirin once a day.

If this doesn't clear up your problem, the only other option is to take him to the vet to let them look at the foot as there may be something else going on with it.

I hope this answer helps! If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. Kelly