Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

my dog wont gain weight. Ive had the vet run a full panel

my dog won't gain weight. I've had the vet run a full panel on him (fecal, blood and urine) and they found nothing abnormal. we adopted him from a shelter as a puppy and upon bringing him home I realized he had worms, I took to the vet immediately and had him treated. After treatment I noticed the worms were gone, took him for his recheck and they gave him a clean bill of health. About six months later a noticed the weight loss and inability to put the weight back on, he's not lethargic nor does he have a cough or any other symtoms so I don't know what it could be. It's been quite costly trying to get to the bottom of this and our finances has recently become quite strained, I love my dog, he's a part of our family but I don't know where to turn.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 years ago.
HI there.

Can you tell me if your vet ran a thyroid? How old is your dog now?

Is he neutered? What breed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He's two years old and we were told he's a golden retriever and german shepherd mix, he has been neutered and his thyroid was not tested.
Hi again and thanks for the info.

It is possible that your guy may have a very fast metabolic rate causing trouble gaining weight. This is common in german sheperds and this may be normal for him. It would be unusual for such a young dog to have a thyroid problem causing this inability to gain weight but it does occur. If nothing works to put on weight, you should at some time have him tested.

It may also be a prob elm of scarring in his intestinal tract due to a heavy parasite load that is now gone. This will cause your guy to not be able to draw in the nutrients as well as other dogs so he needs more food and nutrients.

The best thing to do for now is to increase his food intake using a high quality food such as Science diet for large dogs or Royal Canin. Add into his diet high calories canned food also add add in 1/4 cup vegetable oil to his food every day. This will add pure calories to his diet. I would also suggest you purchase from a pet store a product called Nutrical and give your guy 2 tablespoons of this per day. This is a high calorie supplement that also will add calories.

If, after 1 month, he does not put on weight, you will have to have your vet examine him. I do believe, however, that he has a higher than normal metabolic rate and this is just him.

Good Luck!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am cuurently feeding him Iams dry and mixing it with their chunk canned food. I will take your advice and switch his food. He won't eat more than twice a day, we've tried to feed him three times a day and he won't touch his third feeding. My vet gave me the nutrical and we tried that for a month however he didn't care for it even when mixed with his food. i bought a supplement called vita gravy he seems to like that, but I was curious what your opinion on that. I really hope thats all it is because he can't qualify for pet insurance because its pre-existing and our finances are strained. Do you know of any programs that assist with pet care just in case?
HI again. Yes, I have heard of the Vita Gravy and it is great if he will eat it. I really believe this is just him.

Here are a couple websites that help people out finacially with vet bills. I understand perfectly how it is with finances and vet bills can be huge. Communicate with these websites before you need them. helps elderly, disabled

I really hope this helps!!!