Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist

my Yorkie is constipated. What can I do

my Yorkie is constipated. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I have a few questions to ask that will help me better answer you

How long has this been going on?

Can your dog have any bowel movements at all?

Is your dog straining to go?

Is your dog eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Only for a day or two. I have seen her try to pass a stool but not seen any results.

I haven't seen a stool for a couple of days, which may mean nothing because she runs prety loose and I don't keep that close a track on her.

This morning I watched her straining to go for about ten minutes with no result.

She is eating and drinking, maybe a little less than normal.

My attention to whatever problem she is having was drawn to the fact that she is normally a very happy and active girl, greeting and making a fus over anyone who comes into the house. This evening she seems very lethargic and interested in nothing.

Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response.

There are many things that can cause constipation in little dogs: Gastrointestinal upset, mild dehydration and reduced mobility. Another thing that can cause constipation is filled anal sacs due to discomfort associated with defecation.

These types of things can cause lethargy and depression, but I would watch her closely to make sure it is not something more severe. If she starts having severe vomiting, or passing dark tarry or bloody stool, stops urinating, or develops severe vomiting she should be seen by a vet as soon as possible,

If you have a rectal thermometer you can check her temperature. A dog's temp should be between 101-102.5 F. If she has an elevated body temperature she should be seen soon by your vet as she may have an infection or some other medical condition

A few things you might try to reduce constipation include adding a bit of canned pumpkin (1 teaspoon/day) to her diet, along with the same amount of active culture yogurt. If you do this consistenly you might find that she has a solid and normal bowel movement regularly. I would also have her anal sacs checked and emptied periodically.

If she does not have a bowel movement in the next 12 hours you might want to try a warm water enema with a bit of liquid soap like dawn dish soap to make it slightly sudsy. I would not use more than 1 tablespoon of fluid to give an enema in a dog her size. If she still has no bowel movement within 24 hours she should be seen by your veterinarian.

I hope this helps

Please feel free to ask any follow-on questions you might have.