Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my dog started this intense coughing/wheezing/gagging in the

my dog started this intense coughing/wheezing/gagging in the middle of the night- off and on throughout and was doing the same this morning... his energy is normal, still eating, drinking etc... i was going to bring him in right now but the clinic is closed. how serious could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 years ago.
Hi there. has your guy been at a kennel or groomer or vets office lately? How old is your dog?

Thanks!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, i keep him in a crate when i go to work at home, and I just groomed him myself yesterday (shampoo, cut,)..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my computer died so i had to restart.... i was waiting on a response after i relied to this question when it happened.... but just in case, my response said that no, my dog has not been to a kennel or groomers etc... i keep him in a crate at home when i go to work but thats all.... i gave him a bath and hair cut myself yesterday but no groomer
HI again and thanks for the info. I asked these questions because this acute onset of this hacking cough is very typical for a tracheobronchitis or kennel cough. This is an airborne disease that could have been picked up anywhere, even in his crate.

Because he is otherwise healthy, this is most likely the problem. It would be advisable to have your vet examine him tomorrow to be sure there is nothing else involved. They will have medications to help your guy get over this disease including a cough suppressant.

Good Luck!!