Dr. Jen
Dr. Jen, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified in Clinical Pathology and several years in private practice

are hot spots on dogs contagious to humans I have a 9 yr

Customer Question

are hot spots on dogs contagious to humans? I have a 9 yr old dachshund that appears to have several hot spots that I have been treating. I now have ring worm looking dry spots on my arms legs, back and stomach. They do not itch, but appear like a ring worm without itch. They also look like a hot spot without the moisture and silky middle part of the ring. So is it possible that I got the bacteria from the dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jen replied 7 years ago.
<p>Actual "hotspots" are small areas of irritated skin that can become infected with bacteria. These should not be contagious to you. However, the fact that you have lesions similar to those on your dog is concerning that the suspected hotspots on your dog are not hotspots but something contagious like ringworm or possibly a mite or flea sensitivity. I would recommend having your dog examined by a veterinarian to rule out ringworm and other contagious lesions. While I am not a human doctor, it may be prudent for you to visit your physician as well and have him/her evaluate your lesions.</p>