VetInternist
VetInternist, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Staff Internist and Medical Director
21344439

My dog(shar pei) has round small bald patches on him we have

My dog(shar pei) has round small bald patches on him we have taken him to the vet utthey don't know what it is .....it's spreading I have changed his food....and washed him with sulpur shampoo..
Pleasedo u have any advice??
Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetInternist replied 7 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

- Do you know what tests your veterinarian has done?
- Is your dog itchy?
- Was the sulphur shampoo done by your veterinarian? How many times was it used?
- How old is your dog.
- What medications is he on?

Thanks,
Dr. Shadwick
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Dr Shadwick.

The vet did a blood test and took a sample of his skin..

He is almost three.

No medications..

No we shampooed him

Don't think he is itchy..Its is on hisback...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok thanks

fungal culture .skin scraping

Malaseb shampoo..

his fur is growing back in spots but the bald round patches are spreading.Chai is almost three..

No I don't think he's itchy .

Thanks for your reply,

Alopecia (hair loss) in dogs can be due to many things. Usually we recommend scraping the skin to look for mites (demodex) , doing a tape preparation to look at bacteria, and taking a hair sample to culture fungal organisms (ringworm). Some of these things are very itchy and some of them are not.

Prescription sulfur shampoos can treat some of these problems, but I wouldn't count on over-the-counter shampoos to be much help. They also need to be administered at regular intervals during treatment and are usually accompanied by oral medication as well.

Other possible causes, that are usually itchy, include scabies, flea allergy, and food allergy. There are also some endocrine diseases that can cause hair loss (non-itchy). Cushing's disease and hypothyroidism are two examples. Cushing's disease is much more common than hypothyroidism in reality, however hypothyroidism is grossly over diagnosed.

My recommendation would be to talk to you vet about these possibilities. If they are uncomfortable doing an in depth dermatology work-up, you can request a referral to a dermatologist. Not every veterinarian is an expert in every aspect of medicine. Most veterinarians do not mind referring cases to specialists if they are uncomfortable with certain areas of medicine.

I hope this helps,
Dr. Shadwick