CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

Can I give my dog Allegra for severe allergies , She has been

Can I give my dog Allegra for severe allergies , She has been on Prednizone 5mg daily now for 4 years to maintainitch free, and every august we increase to 5mg twice a day. She has gained weight, is always hungry and never too comfortable. If we try to take her off the pred , she chews and licks her paws until they swell to twice their size. She also rubs her face into the floor , scratches her ears. I would like to find a way to take her off the pred so that she could loose the extra weight and all in all be more comfortable , and be able to move around easier. She is a Australian Sheperd , that is deaf , and now weight about 95 pounds.
She eats vegetables along with approx 3 cups of Beneful weight managment dry dog food daily, but is always hungry. It sounds like Allegra might be an option to try. If so how do I go about switching , and what would the dosage be ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

2 questions -

1) Have you ever tried an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine?

2) Is this regular Allegra, not Allegra D?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried Benedryl , however it only works for a limited time and not so well.
yes regular Allegra

How much does your dog weigh and how many milligrams are the capsules?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She weighs 95 lbs , and the capsules are 60 mgs
Based on your dog's weight and the size of the capsules I would recommend:

1 capsule (60mg) once per day.

I hope this helps the allergies!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.