Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

My dog is having a hard time peeing. Every time is she attmepting

Customer Question

My dog is having a hard time peeing. Every time is she attmepting to pee, she dribbles. Do she have an infection? What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

How old is your dog?

What breed is your dog?

When did this start?

Is she having urinary accidents in the house?

Fiona
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she is 3 yrs. old, rotti, it just started last nigth. we took her to the vet today and they put her on an antibotic. when will she start to feel better? she just started crying when she was trying to go to the bathroom tonight. What can we do to make her feel better/comfortable?
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Aww... poor girl!

So, she started her antibiotics a few hours ago?

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

I am about to go to bed as it is 10:20pm here. I just wanted to leave you with some information to try to help your dog feel better as soon as possible. It takes 24 to 72 hours on antibiotics before dogs get relief, so I think it would be good if you can do something in the meantime to help your girl.

The best possible thing to help her would be to get her to drink a lot of water. This will flush the infection out, and the more dilute her urine, the less it will sting when she voids.

There are a number of things you can do to increase water consumption.

You can mix a bit of food in with water to make a soup - that way your dog may be enticed to drink more.

You can make "hot-dog soup." To do this, take one hot dog and cut it into a dozen small pieces. Put them in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Take off the heat, and allow to cool. Remove the hot dog pieces, and offer the dog the water.

I suggest opening a can of tuna *in water* and offering the liquid diluted with water 50:50.

Any clear fluids are fine to give - such as apple juice, gatorade, pedialyte. Dilute all of them 50:50 with water.

You could try Lactose Free milk (Lactaid is the Canadian brand ), diluted with water.

Offer some canned dog food, and mix it with water to make a gravy to pour over her dry food

Other things you can do to encourage a dog to drink are:

- offer water from a very wide flat bowl

- If she likes dripping water, leave a tap.

- Offer bottled water and see if she prefers it.

- Offer onion- free chicken broth or beef broth, diluted 50:50

- See if she likes water with an ice cube in it.

• See if she likes it out of a cup or pasta bowl.

• You could try getting some human baby food in meat flavours (check that there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients) and mix that with warm water and offer that as a "soup" for her to drink. Beech Nut makes a line of baby food that has nothing but meat (beef, chicken, turkey or veal) in it.

If you cannot find this, you could find another meat baby food - just read the label carefully to be sure there are no onions, onion powder, garlic, or garlic powder in it.

Cook a chicken breast and put it in the blender with enough water to turn it into baby-food consistency. Make it into a soup.

Many dogs LOVE water from a water fountain like those here:

http://www.vetventures.com/

Hopefully, these ideas will help you to get some fluids into your dog so her urine is more dilute! I am going to guess she weighs about 80lbs. In a dog this size, it would be really good if you could get her to drink about 1 to 2 cups PER HOUR to help her to feel more comfortable. It really will help her tremendously until her antibiotics kick in!

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "ACCEPT" button.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona