Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist

3 week old puppy has tummy ache. Has wanted to poop but couldnt

3 week old puppy has tummy ache. Has wanted to poop but couldn't now has a I hurt sound. Have her in my lap on a warm water bottle.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I have a few questions that may help me better answer you

Is your puppy being nursed by her mom or are you bottle feeding?

Has your puppy urinated?

Are you doing anything to stimulate your puppy to go to the bathroom?

Is your puppy's bottom protruding?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nursed by mom. Has urinated fine today. Gave puppy to her mom to stimulate her to go to the bathroom. No puppy's bottom is not protruding.
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the response

If the mom is not successful in getting the puppy to go you might have to help. Puppies can get a bit gassy and painful if they don't go often enough, and can become constipated too. Some mother dogs have a difficult time if they are dealing with too many puppies. You may have to help with this one. Since they need to be stimulated after every meal, up to about 3 weeks, it might be that she is backing off a bit to see if they will go on their own. To help her just use a warm moist cotton ball or very soft cloth that is moistened with warm water and gently rub the rectal and genital area. Within a couple of minutes the puppy should urinate and/or defecate. Some pups respond before eating but most seem to respond better after having a meal. Most puppies will be able to go to the bathroom on their own by three weeks of age,

If a puppy appears to be in pain or is cramping, or if she is crying, she could have gas. For this, you can give her 1-2 drops of infant's simethicone anti-gas drops. If she continues to cry, won't poop and seems bloated this be a sign of trouble. If any of the following signs/symptoms persist you may need to take her to see your vet: constant crying, lack of weight gain, no/little eating, poor color, extremely bloated abdomen, shallow breathing, coldness to the touch, significant diarrhea, and vomiting.

I've attached a few link that may be of interest. (regarding the 2nd link, I realize she is not an orphan, it is just handy information to have)

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions